This forum is archived and no longer active. You can visit us in our Discord Server here!

Topic: server errors on 11/12 and 11/13

on 11/12 i kept getting server errors from about 6:59 pm eastern to about 7:04.
today on 11/13 i was getting them from about 6:40 up until about 6:58
using a pc with chrome.
i got everything in but added about 50 grey hairs.
at some point when this thing gets around 157 bells and whistles that everyone wants, sign me up for the one that has about 12 bells and whistles from about 5 months ago that ran fast and lean.
still love your product, just a little worried.

100% Agreed. Could not export a single DraftKings lineup tonight because of this issue.

Now that you mention it, I had some slight issues loading projections on 11/12 but everything went through fine, problem also occurred around the same time you mentioned (right before lock, 30 mins leading up to).

Just some sluggishness I hadn't seen before and it would only load part of the projections, had to remove all and reload once or twice and it was fine, didn't think much of it.

Tonight, same problem, except server errors mixed in, sluggishness ... basically the same thing - totally unable to load projections, I stopped trying at about 6:56 and scrambled to make a lineup by hand to submit over top of the few dozen GPP reservations I had (intended to be multiple lineups) .... really a total disaster.

I could run an optimization based on the FC projections seemingly as fine as normal but the major problems came in when trying to upload my own projections. So it's on that end.

I don't know what to say. Feeling pretty burned up right now. This was for FanDuel NBA.

Never had any issues at all up until today (technically yesterday but that was pretty tolerable, just a minor inconvenience. This cost me a ton of EV on a Friday night ...) ...

It actually is not the bells and whistles that are slowing us down, its just the increased number of users requesting data simultaneously from the server. I have just started the process of upgrading our server with our webhost, and that should be completed by ~ Tuesday night if everything goes well. This should help with some of the issues, but we are also looking into ways to streamline some of our code so that it will run faster. The issue is access to our database, and with tons of people all requesting data at once, it is slowing everyone down.

Getting this resolved is my top priority, I apologize for the issues the past couple of days.

as a reminder, there is a sunday NBA game at noon when a bazillion NFL crunches will be happening.
i'd appreciate it if all of you NFL'ers would let me get my NHL stuff done around 7pm monday before you jam up monday night football.
thanks... just kidding (not really) let me get my hockey done, just wait a little while PLEASE!!
seriously, like 10 minutes of non server crashing peace on monday around 7pm eastern... thanks again LOL

Last night I migrated the site to a completely new server that is much faster and should eliminate the issues we had last week. Thanks for your patience, we are still going to work to improve and streamline some other code, but this should help so we don't have issues around lock time.

thanks for the quick response dave.
as a small business owner, i know stuff happens when you least expect it.
i know people lost their minds for a few minutes, but rotowire's server crashed hard on opening night of nba for over 30 minutes also.
thanks for taking care of your customers, i appreciate it.

Alright so we're good to go I can load up on GPP reservations for tonight and be worry-free that I'll be able to optimize in the 30 minute window before lock?

I appreciate the service and understand that shit happens - but if there's still any FORESEEABLE chance of an issue (I know unforeseeable stuff happens) ... by all means it would help me more to know now, and I'll start with plan B - but would prefer to not have to bail on all my reservations and burn them up on a single lineup like I did last week.

So if something like this is going on, or could still happen even with the server change, I'd much rather know in advance than burn those lineups up! If this was something you noticed before 11/12 and 11/13 as well (I didn't have the problem where I lost my lineups until 11/13, but it would have been nice to know that something was up, I would have bailed a lot earlier and been able to salvage it - but the service had ALWAYS been reliable so I kept banging my head against the wall hoping it would work and wasted about 30 minutes before lock when I could have been trying to save my entries the old-fashioned way) ...

I know nobody wants to advertise when something isn't working properly, BUT, I think all of us would rather know something's going on than walk into it blind and get in a situation where we're stuck, banking on optimizing lineups, and scrambling to find an alternative when it doesn't work in the exact moment it needs to.

So am I good to go for tonight? Either answer is fine I just want to know!

-Sean

We've moved to the new server, things should go well. However, Dave being located in Nevada really hinders the amount of bug testing he can do. Something you can do is try to export some lineups into draftkings under a slate that you won't be playing in as a test run since it doesn't cost you anything to export to DK.

Hey Tai,

I play on fanduel and my problems weren't related to exporting, they were related to importing custom projections.

Also, the issues I had only occurred during high traffic times - so me testing things throughout the day will have no bearing on whether they work when the volume is ramped up before lock.

In any case, I appreciate the honesty about some of the technical limitations that are being faced in the transition. The last word was for Tuesday, and it's not Tuesday yet, so -

I will play accordingly tonight, but look forward to having full confidence once again in the performance under heavy traffic ...

I understand what I asked was a difficult question to answer - nobody can predict the future. So thanks for the reply! I was just looking for the most information on which to base my decisions, so, this helps.

I'll give it a run tonight and let you know if I have any problems, but I'll keep the number of reservations to an amount that I can handle with a plan B, and just knowing that there could be a potential issue is very helpful - I will say that when this happened on Friday, I was convinced that it must have been an issue on my end and wasted a lot of time trying to resolve a browser or OS-related issue that didn't exist ... but I did that because I've never had a problem before even in high-traffic time periods.

I'll let you know if there's any issues! ;)

Guys, love the site and service (if that wasn't clear already.) On some of the technical stuff, I'm happy to advise. I assume you're hosting at EC2. If not, it might be worth looking into it rather than dealing with single server hardware issues. You can use their elastic instances to increase and decrease bandwidth at peak times, etc. I'm sure you know this already.

On the bug testing side, throw a series of test cases out to us and let the community bang on it for you - or link us to a public test server and let is try and break things there. I'm sure people would be willing to do that - I know I would.

Today was about 75-80% of the traffic we had last Friday, and everything seemed to work very well. I don't think we should see issues like we did previously. I will still be actively monitoring to make sure we are good when we hit max usage times.

so far so good on the new server for me.
no interruptions at all.
smooth sailing from 6:20 eastern up thru 7:40 eastern on 11/16
hey cruncher staff, how about a t-shirt free roll contest for all those affected.

I continue to get server errors every day, even on different computers. Today I locked one player and the page became unresponsive. I use custom projections; could this be a reason? The player pool is not that big today so I was a bit surprised that generating 6 lineups caused a crash.

just wondering if these posts are set to greenwich mean time or universal time when they pop out.
i'm reading sangmac's post about server problems and it says 18:33. it's 18:12 east coast time right now as i post this.
i didn't have any problems server-wise today, but maybe we should put what time we had issues so you can check server logs.

I would recommend emailing support. I haven't seen any issues since the upgrade. The only thing that hits me is that it could be an extension you have installed that's causing a problem?? Not sure without a little further investigating.