This forum is archived and no longer active. You can visit us in our Discord Server here!

Topic: draftkings to ban offsite scripts article

http://espn.go.com/chalk/story/_/id/14623271/draftkings-bans-use-offsite-scripts-identify-experienced-players

what does this all mean for us?

It will hurt, assuming FD follows the same course.

DK sent the email this morning, interesting to see where this all leads.

I'm trying to get as much information as I can on this. I saw last night, DraftKings already has their tool available although I'm not sure exactly how to use it yet. It appears they will still allow you to bulk upload through a CSV file but will not allow the FantasyCruncher Google Chrome app to upload your lineups directly from FC to DK- after Jan. 29th... As I see it, it's just going to add a step. FantasyCruncher allows you to create multiple (bulk) lineups and export them to a CSV already. I believe, you will then need to save that file and then upload it to DraftKings. Once the lineups are on DK you will need to manually opt each lineup into your contests.

If anyone can clarify/add to this that would be great, I'm not 100%.

Also, I'm not sure if uploading the lineups through their site has the same template for CSV. Can we make sure the csv's we are generating through the cruncher are the same way they're allowed to be uploaded to DK?

I just tried exporting using FC csv and tried to open it in DK's new "upload lineups" tool and it didn't work. Here's the error message:

After looking at DK's csv template, it is apparent that DK is assigning each player a unique ID # that it uses for the import. FC's export csv file simply has the player name per position

Below is a partial screen cap of DK's csv template for tonight's late NBA game with instructions for filling out the csv:

So I would assume once FC compiles all the players' ID #'s and changes their csv export button to account for this, it would work.

Probably not a big change for FC, the biggest issue is the IDs change for each contest, but they can upload from the spreadsheets, probably when they upload salaries.

Then we will probably(possibly) have to manually upload.

MLC

I'm sure FC will create a "DK Friendly" version.

The biggest impact will be to mass editing lineups. I use the rotogrinders extension a ton to edit lineups, now we can no longer do that. Time to quit DFS...

We will be adding in the DK CSV export option, which just uses the player IDs instead of the player names which is what the RG extension was using. This is not a difficult change for us since we have been using the DK IDs for exporting directly since day 1. The deadline we were given from Draftkings is next Friday the 29th, we will add in the proprietary format this weekend.

So we are going to be back to only people with 3rd party software being able to mass edit lineups?

This incredibly sucks.

It's basically insane to reserve, say, 100x entries and not be able to mass EDIT them, which we cannot now with DK's "tool"

If it's against the TOS that is fine - but if it's back to how it was six months ago when only a select few got to mass edit lineups .. that will be EXTREMELY BAD

It looks like that's where we're at. Unless they have some SERIOUS enforcement capabilities that they hadn't even begun thinking about six months ago. So I'm not holding y breath.

Back to the days of everyone who doesn't break the TOS being at a tremendous disadvantage.

What do we do?

From what I have heard, they should be adding the mass editing down the road, but I think you guys should all make sure to email them and make your voices heard so they understand the urgency. Maybe take a week off from playing DK in protest. This isn't a big deal on Fanduel, since there are no late swaps, but it is an issue on DK. I do believe that they will police it correctly so that no one has the ability to edit, this is actually somewhat trivial on their site to detect, if someone edits more than 1 lineup less than 30 seconds than their previous edit it will likely trigger an alert. We do know they have this technology in place, as they "tested" it occasionally on our users and would receive this message:

So to sum up, we will retain the ability to mass enter lineups on DK, but Mass editing if it comes will be a little further down the road.