This forum is archived and no longer active. You can visit us in our Discord Server here!

Topic: 517,781 reasons why Fanduel should have golf

i was just looking at the top 5 tournaments for golf on draftkings as the lock time passed.
i had noticed that their $5,300 buy-in golf "thunderdome" tournament actually lost money because the buy-ins were less than the guaranteed prize pool. (84 entires x $5,300 = $445,200 on a $450,000 payout... losing $4,800)
so instead of feeling sorry for draftkings, i decided to see how much rake they were going to make off the top 5 golf tournaments combined.
$2.5 million golf millionaire >> $341,267
$600k pga birdie >> $105,882
$450k thunderdome >> (-$4,800)
$400k club pro >> $44,222
$200k back nine >> $31,210
add them all up and they had a profit of $517,781 from their top 5 tournaments including losing a little money on the thunderdome.
this doesn't include the tons of other golf 50/50's and head to heads that they're running.

i just find it hard to believe that fanduel can't figure out a way to add golf and somehow be profitable. (maybe next year)
as a small business man myself, i'm happy to see draftkings making money and more power to them, but i do think competition is also good for the consumer.

I will speculate a little here. I think the issue Fanduel has with Golf / Nascar / MMA is the gray area it is in with regards to the UIGEA specifically this part:

All winning outcomes reflect the relative knowledge and skill of the participants and are determined predominantly by accumulated statistical results of the performance of individuals (athletes in the case of sports events) in multiple real-world sporting or other events.

The argument for golf was always, well, this is multiple rounds which qualifies as "multiple real-world sporting or other events". I have no idea the argument for NASCAR. I dont know absolutely that is why Fanduel has shied away from these niche sports, but it seems that could be the case. I think DK is pushing the envelope, which depending on regulations could end up biting them one day, I hope it does not