This forum is archived and no longer active. You can visit us in our Discord Server here!

Topic: One more DvP question..

I couldn't find an explanation for what I'm about to ask, but if it's been covered, just link me to it and I'll move on.

I'm still having difficulty in understanding the DvP values. I've noticed that two players from the same team, and same position, may have entirely different values in the DvP column. Generally, I would have thought that number would be exactly the same, but sometimes it's significantly different. Is the DvP value taking into consideration the statistics of each player individually? As opposed to just saying team "x" ranks 29th against the PG position?

I'd like to understand this better, as I use DvP many times to make my decisions when all other factors are relatively equal.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

We don't consider their positions the same way that DK does. As you know, these DFS sites often put players as positions that they aren't. We consider the position that is more accurately representative of the position they play in games.

Does that make sense?

Absolutely. That helps me a lot. Thanks for taking the time to answer.

Adding on to this, any idea why your DvP numbers seems to vary significant in many cases from BBM? I've seen it be as wide to you guys having it as a top 3 difficult matchup and BBm having an ease over .5

Hard to say since we don't know their formula. We also may use a different sample size of games since the current season is still pretty new. Also, we may list different players under different "true positions". For players who play multiple positions, it is very difficult to choose which position to use for DvP.

Hmm yea, I know that they break players down % for their ease, e.g. 40% SF, 40% SG, etc. I think they have moved to using only this years data, still seems odd that some of them are vastly different.

Maybe I'll look at it more. The most blatant example today is Vucevic. They have it as an extremely low matchup ease, where FC has it as a very positive dvp.

I too have noticed the large difference between the two. I took a closer look at what BBM uses, and it is described as: "Ease of players schedule vs Position"

They might be factoring in completely different variables to come up with their calculation