This forum is archived and no longer active. You can visit us in our Discord Server here!

Topic: wow. is tonight gonna cost draftkings some money.

got an email a little while ago explaining the screw up on the NBA and NHL for saturday nights 7pm games.
it looks like $100,000 worth of free contests to anyone who had money that was refunded from tonights games.
they're also kicking in a 40 percent deposit bonus (up to a certain amount.) for players who were affected tonight.
that bonus deposit money helps make up for all the rake we've been paying.
check your emails and take advantage of something free while you can.

About that 40% bonus...1/25 conversion rate (you spend $25 to get back $1) and you have 90 days to claw it all back. There are a couple of unanswered questions...like up to $1,000. Is that the deposit max or max bonus you can earn? It's based on FPPs...does that include mission FPP or just buy in FPP? I'm already playing on won money, so it doesn't make sense for me to deposit more.

For the free contest, the 1st one will have 85k+ players and pay out the top 8.3% with prizes ranging from $500 to $1. You've got to figure that a lot of people will fail to update their lineups, so this isn't too bad. If you play NHL and not NBA, you will hate the structure of the free contests...4 NBA and 1 NHL.

I am thankful they did not cancel MMA...I won $515 for a profit of $385!

In short, this was just about the least they could do for screwing the pooch by not having a protocol already worked out for this type of situation...they already said that this was an 'unforeseen failure' and 'made a poor decision'. They need to stock their team with people that are used to thinking through different types of failure modes (no matter how likely) and coming up with a planned protocol to mitigate (not necessarily solve) the situation.

well, i was thinking more along the lines of not getting any rake on a saturday night.
i would assume that for the NBA and NHL, that would be the most played night of the week.
if you take the"highest rake for the night this week" and put a big fat zero in that column. if kinda takes the profit margins down a big notch.
and yes, the contests and the bonus money hurts them also.

not to mention, i know players who "double up" when they lose (even though i've told them it's a bankroll emptying strategy at some point)
a couple of them were into multiple double ups from losing three and four times in a row.
they should've cashed their plays based on how they did with the lineups they had. (they all cashed on fanduel that night)
now, those guys are really pissed because that should've brought them back to even but the games "didn't run"
so now they play on sunday and all those guys lost the sunday slate.
now they're really pissed because they are now down even further looking at a monday hockey slate of just 2 games when their "double up strategy should've bailed them out on saturday night.
they're all talking about never playing draftkings again.
i think they're morons for doing double ups as a strategy, but hey, to each their own.
i guess that's why there are $1, $2, $3, $5, $10, $20, $25, $50, $100 and so on contest denominations.
draftkings knows that people "double up" to recoup their losses so they accomodate them.