This forum is archived and no longer active. You can visit us in our Discord Server here!

Topic: How did you get your start in computer science?

This question is for anybody interested in sharing, by the way!

I know that programming is a valuable skill, but outside of taking an introductory C++ course in high school (many moons ago) with a teacher who clearly didn't care about what she was doing, I've never actually tried learning a programming language. In jest, I do understand technology (as evidenced by friends and extended family targeting me as the pseudo-IT guy -- bad example since they're different skill sets, but at least I'm not Zoolander about stuff and can learn/assimilate knowledge pretty quickly when needed), but never went back to wanting to learn more in-depth material.

I know there's sites like codecademy and plenty of e-books and textbooks (and community college courses) where one can learn independently, but what I'm wondering is how you all got your start with computer science.

Full disclosure: I'm not trying how to brute-force/trial-and-error my way into figuring out how FC and other projection sites work (because I guarantee I won't be able to figure it out, even if I were given the blueprint! Also: the proverbial 8-5 gig is keeping me busy enough).

However, I was thinking about wanting to add a marketable skill to my repertoire (because my current job is pretty mindless despite it requiring a graduate degree). On occasion, I use R and SPSS for work, so I feel that I have a solid foundation in statistics (not so much from a DFS perspective, but in terms of all-encompassing knowledge as it relates to my job).

If I wanted to learn, where would you advise me to start? A buddy of mine said Python, but I wanted to read about what your experiences were.

Thanks for reading! Still digging the site and interaction, as always!

I learned by doing. I wanted to make an iphone app, so I went to the book store and bought some Objective C books and started following along. There is definitely a learning curve, but I highly recommend pursing development if its something you are interested in. You can apply things you learn to everyday business even if you don't go the full fledged developer as a career path.

As far as languages are concerned, Python is fine. So is PHP, Ruby, Javascript, or any variation of C. The important thing isn't the language, its finding something you want to learn with enough material and just get going doing things. You arent going to become a master overnight, but everyday you can get a little closer. Remember, even the most genius coders started out exactly where you are today, no one is born with this knowledge.

I used to write in Basic on my Atari 800xl (64k ram and dual floppy drives!)

Can I help? :)

Cheers, lads! I appreciate your stories.

I legit know that I'm never going to be a master at it (I may never even reach apprenticeship status, ha!), but I was definitely wondering if it would be one of those fun-but-frustrating hobbies that I seem to enjoy. It looks like it could. The issue, as always, is finding the time in the week to read and practice.

Thanks again!