This forum is archived and no longer active. You can visit us in our Discord Server here!

Topic: Ethan Haskell YOUR THOUGHTS!?!?!?!

Im sure he uses this site, maybe even reads this...

Why hasn't ANYBODY brought up the biggest story in DFS history?

http://deadspin.com/draftkings-employee-with-access-to-inside-info-wins-35-1734719747?discussion_truncation=15&utm_expid=66866090-56.xSggy8zmSwG3vMsivr7rOg.4&utm_referrer=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.com%2F

Patrick Redford
Filed to: DRAFTKINGS10/05/15 7:50pm
DraftKings Employee With Access To Inside Info Wins $350K At FanDuel

Last week, DraftKings writer Ethan Haskell inadvertently leaked ownership and lineup data pertaining to his employer’s biggest contest—the Millionaire Maker—before the start of all the weekend’s games. Doing so made him at the least appear to be committing, if not straight fraud, something that looks a lot like it.

Winning a contest like Millionaire Maker, which has hundreds of thousands of participants, is less about buying up the best players than about finding market inefficiencies and selecting players who will help the fewest amount of your competitors while running cheap relative to their production. (This is basic tournament strategy; it’s the same reason you’re discouraged from picking all chalk in a large March Madness pool.) Thus, when you select a lineup, you have to try, blindly, to determine both the bargain value and how under-the-radar your lineup will fly.

Of course, if you have this data ahead of time—as certain DraftKings employees evidently do, or did—you have a massive advantage over your competitors. There’s no guesswork, only algorithmic scheming. You can remove the behavioral uncertainty from the equation and play knowing all opposition strategies.

let me take a whack at this...
in order to be a better daily player i got jonathan bales book "fantasy baseball" for smart people."
in it you'll find over 100 pages of "insider trading" information from the research department from draftkings.
you'll get...
average scores of 50/50's for $1, $5, and higher limits (although my own 2015 stats are higher than his 2014 research)
ALWAYS DO YOUR OWN RESEARCH KIDS!!
average scores of gpp's
average points of a #1 hitter in the lineup, or #2, or #3 etc...
average points scored from each team played in a whole season.
average points scored from each stadium
the freeking data is amazing
can WE use that info after buying the book? why yes we can.

so now you get someone who says "his book says i can make money if i can do better than 101 points in baseball 50/50's because that's what the draftkings research tell us."
well, sparky, you probably lost money on baseball in 2015 based on that inside information.
nobody would call a loser like that, someone playing a "rigged" game.

it takes information
it takes luck
and it takes jumbo coconut balls to put your money down based on someone elses information.
he got info, he got lucky, he got paid.
i'm pretty sure that people will spend 20 hours whining about stuff like that with their buddies instead of taking 20 hours to get better at...
1) picking line-ups
2) knowing what the "points to cash" numbers" are and can you be better than that
3) knowing that fantasycruncher is more reliable at projecting batter scores at less than $3,500 salary that rotowire
4) knowing that numberfire pitching projections are the worst of the 5 systems i track.

i'm still going to play, i'm still going to get better at the sports i play, and most of all, i'm still going to profit AND HAVE FUN along the way.

and now back to our regularly scheduled programming

You're missing the point.

Perception is reality.

The Government is investigating the two companies.... All you have to do is look at what happened to online poker and see where this is possibly headed.

I'm not saying you didn't read the article but that is the meat and potatoes about it.

Also to say that a competitive advantage isn't gained by getting the type of information that is available to employees of each sight is pretty myopic.

Finally if it is found that even a fraction of the consistent big winners are employees or worse people connected to employees of each company.....

DUNZO... for the fun

Dunzo for the ancillary businesses(like Fantasy cruncher)

This isn't good for ANYBODY all because a guy hap haphazardly did what he did and the company barely responded when it was brought to light..

Dratfkings pulling in show ads from ESPN.... not good not good at all...

oh, i get the point.
not a word has been brought up about the same "inside information" that exists for other things.
let's say that some draftkings employees have a record of head 2 head games in the database.
you know that info is rattling around somewhere.
let's say someone with the handle rookie01 is now 6 wins and 37 losses into his baseball experiment.
since the draftkings employee with this info can play on fanduel (before today) he
suddenly notices that rookie01 also plays on fanduel account and has a head 2 head in the lobby.
the draftkings employee clicks on it and for a dollar finds out that it's probably the same person because the line-ups are almost similar (even with the different salary numbers and only one pitcher.
so for a dollars worth of research, that draftkings employee can now troll the lobby and make sure he scoops up games against rookie01.
let's say him or one of his buddies gets to play rookie01 for the next 43 head 2 heads and suddenly wins the same amount as rookie01 had been losing before. 37 wins - 6 losses in 43 games... a winning percentage of 86 percent
cashes $66.60 from $43 played for a return on investment of 1.54 or 54 percent
ok, so now they know that worked. don't you think they'd try and find more fish on that head to head list from research and make it their life's mission to just troll head to head matchups at night (or at least have their freinds do it.)
all fair and legal in the minds of draftkings and fanduel (ahem, before today)
if some reporter digs into that cluster, this whole time table gets moved up a notch i think.

have i thought stuff like that could happen for awhile... yep.
doesn't change that i still want to play and i can still make some money at this myself and have some fun.
it also doesn't change the fact that the big lawyers, attorney generals, and judges who will argue this stuff in court will also play $10, 20, or 100 a hole gambling on the golf course while discussing if this "no good fantasy stuff is gambling and we can't have that"
well judge, ya know, we just gambled about $200 on golf holes while discussing this fantasy stuff.
that wasn't gambling, golf is a game of skill. LOL