NHL DFS Primer | Thursday, April 1st, 2021 on DraftKings
Looking for help building line-ups for NHL DFS on DraftKings or FanDuel tonight? Let’s take a look at some of the best plays on the board for tonight’s action!
Opening day is he…….wrong sport. Tonight, the NHL gives us a nine game schedule with no shortage of action to choose from. We’ll have some chalk teams on the board tonight – but on a slate as deep as tonight, there are plenty of different ways that you can go when it comes to building line-ups. Let’s dive in and look at some ways to approach Thursday night’s NHL DFS action on Draftkings!
So – where should we expect to see the highest owned stacks tonight?
- The Rangers, specifically their top line come into this one playing outstanding – and in a plus match-up against the lowly Sabres (who granted – did play great last night), I expect Zibanejad, Kreider (both of whom are on PP1) and Buchnevich to be very popular tonight – along with Fox on the back-end. I love what I’ve seen from them lately both in terms of surface stats and advanced metrics, and they are arguably the top stack on the board tonight.
- The Bolts are -270 favourites tonight playing on home ice against the Jackets. While Korpisalo has been known to stop 50, 60, 70 shots at times against them, given the recent form from both teams – it’s not too surprising to see Tampa as such large favourites. I expect the options on the top PP unit to be the highest owned here, but I do think you’ll see a fair amount of exposure in MME formats on TB1/TB2 tonight.
- The Panthers are -240 favourites tonight, playing on home ice against the Red Wings in a great match-up. With Barkov out, I do think their ownership levels will be kept at least somewhat in check – but I am expecting the Huberdeau line to be a popular stack along with the top PP unit for the Panthers.
Who are some other stacks to consider?
- If you wanted to twist off of NYR1 – the second line for the Rangers is likely to check in with a fraction of the ownership levels of the top unit. You get two pieces of PP1 here with Panarain/Strome, and while they have clearly been the second fiddle of late – the match-up here is great and there is plenty of game theory upside in a plus match-up for this group tonight.
- The Habs travel to Ottawa tonight and check in as -170 favourites in a game with a projected total of six. While I wouldn’t expect low ownership levels here, I do think they have the potential to fly under the radar compared with a few of the teams that I think will be among the highest owned tonight. I like the idea of getting low double digit exposure on each of the top two lines, and I don’t mind the idea of getting some MTL PP2 exposure here as I do prefer Kotkaniemi to Danault and Petry to Weber from a DFS standpoint.
- If you wanted to go stacking with Vegas, I think tonight will see some of the lower ownership levels that you see on them for the next little while. To me, they got buried on the deep slate of games tonight that has plenty of quality options. VGK2 is an affordable approach to go stacking with – and you can bolt on or replace one of them with Mark Stone from the top line, who also skates with Theodore and VGK2 on the top PP unit.
- If you are looking for a couple of games to consider removing from your player pool (at least in terms of the forwards), my favourite two options to do that with would be DAL/NAS and CAR/CHI.
This article focuses more on stacking rather than one off plays….if you would like to see my favourite options on an individual level for tonight’s slate, make sure to check out the NHL Cheat Sheet – which will be out later on today!