NHL DFS Primer | Thursday, March 25th, 2021 on DraftKings
Looking for help building line-ups for NHL DFS on DraftKings or FanDuel tonight? Let’s take a look at some of the best plays on the board for tonight’s action!
After a quiet Wednesday night, the NHL gets back into the full swing of things tonight with a deep slate that includes 11 games, highlighed by two massive favourites and some other teams in great spots tonight. Let’s have a look at some ways to approach building line-ups on what will be a busy night of NHL DFS action on DraftKings!
Who are likely going to be the chalk tonight?
- Pittsburgh check in as massive -320 favourites playing against the lowly Sabres tonight in a game with a projected total of six goals. For Pittsburgh, while they aren’t cheap – the Crosby line doesn’t break the bank, and it’s hard to argue with the spot they are in tonight against the worst team in hockey. In the same match-up last night, Crosby lit the lamp, added a helper and sent seven pucks on net, and it’s hard to imagine that him and his line will have a poor showing tonight. Letang is an excellent option to bolt on the back-end, and Matheson, while his price has risen – he is definitely worth mixing into some of your MME builds as well.
- The Leafs are also big favourites, sitting at -255 as they travel to Ottawa to take on the Sens in a game with a projected total of 6.5 goals. While I think you can make a case to consider a game theory fade here, it’s plenty risky as Matthews and Marner are being joined by Wayne Simmonds on the top PP unit/line, which helps make a 3-man stack here much more affordable. I don’t think this will change Matthews’ ownership levels, he would have been arguably the highest owned player tonight anyways – but the addition of Simmonds is one that I think will see a few more line-ups with the 3-man TOR1 stack tonight. Personally, I like this spot for Toronto – but on such a deep slate, there are plenty of other options to consider here – so I wouldn’t worry too much if you did decide to opt for a fade or under-weight position on either team pointed out in this section!
Who are a couple other stacks worth considering in good spots tonight?
- They won’t be low owned, but I do think that the Ovie line is in a good spot tonight on home ice against the Devils. He took a maintenance day and missed practice on Wednesday, but all expectations are that he will be back in the line-up tonight. The match-up is an outstanding one for them, and with PIT/TOR on the board as larger favourites, you do have the potential to get them at discounted ownership levels than I feel that you will see from either of the two mentioned options above!
- Boston and the Islanders are playing each other, and generally given the fact that I like to fade whoever they are playing that night – it would make sense given a projected total of 5 goals that I don’t think this is a spot to back up the truck in your MME builds tonight. If you ever wanted a shot at BOS1 at what will probably be sub 5% ownership levels…this is the night, though! For me – I think it’s for good reason….
- The two games with projected totals of 6.5 that have tight Vegas lines (NYR/PHI & FLA/CHI) really have the potential to get lost in the weeds, especially FLA/CHI as stacking from those teams involves some higher priced options. Both of these games have the potential to turn into track meets, and while I wouldn’t expect low ownership levels on the NYR/PHI game, I do like the spot to go stacking in both of these games with over-weight positions. For me, for the Rangers, my preference is the Zibanejad line, for the Flyers I like stacking their top PP unit, for FLA it’s the top PP unit and for the Hawks, I love the 2-man stack of Patty Kane and Debrincat.
- We’ve gotten this far in the article and haven’t mentioned Tampa or Colorado. The Avs stand out to me as an intriguing option. While Vegas is far from an easy draw, checking in as -180 favourites on home ice, you have a shot at getting a white hot COL1 line at pretty low ownership levels. In the past three games, MacKinnon has 10 points, Rantanen has 4 goals and 3 helpers, while Landeskog has 3 goals and 6 assists. They may be owned in the mid single digits, and even in a tough match-up, they are playing as well as any trio in the game and I like an overweight position on them tonight.
This article focuses more on stacking rather than one off plays….if you would like to see my favourite options on an individual level for tonight’s slate, make sure to check out the NHL Cheat Sheet – which will be out later on today!