NHL DFS Primer | Monday, February 15th, 2021 on DraftKings
Looking for help building line-ups for NHL DFS on DraftKings or FanDuel tonight? Let’s take a look at some of the best plays on the board for tonight’s action!
We have nine games on the schedule for tonight’s NHL DFS action, giving us plenty of options to choose from when it comes to building line-ups for tonight. I’ll be focusing on where to expect to see chalk, some ways to approach those options – and finally a couple of options that shouldn’t be too popular in terms of ownership levels. So let’s get to it and dive in with some ways to approach building line-ups tonight!
Where are we likely going to see the most popular stacks tonight?
- The Leafs check in as -300 favourites playing at home against Ottawa tonight and I expect the top two lines for Toronto to be among the highest owned, led by the Matthews-Marner duo. Joe Thornton is back from his rib injury and looks to be slotting in with them and makes for an affordable third option to stack on this line. That bumps W Zach Hyman down to the second line along with Tavares and Marner at even strength, though I would expect him to stay on the top PP unit as the in front of the net presence role that him and Wayne Simmonds filled on the top two lines early in the season. You’ll have to make a call on what to do with Toronto first and foremost tonight….For Toronto, i think you either go ~40% on TOR1 and/or ~20% on TOR2, or opt for a game theory fade as they will be very popular tonight.
- The big three (McDavid, Draisaitl and to a lesser extent, RNH) for Edmonton will be popular tonight playing at home against Winnipeg in a game with a projected total of 6 goals with the Oilers as -135 favourites. Tyson Barrie is a natural addition to a front-end Edmonton stack. I liked fading him earlier in the year, but he is clicking right offensively and is reasonably priced. On a night where they could be lower owned than the big guns for Toronto, the appeal is here to use them pretty heavily tonight in MME formats.
- The top line for TB should be another popular option tonight getting Stamkos back in the fold tonight. They are big favourites at home going up against Florida and much like Edmonton, they will probably be lower owned than Toronto and are in a great spot tonight. I continue to like going under-weight on Hedman at his price. He’s arguably the top defencemen in the game – but he does at times, flip the switch on and off from a fantasy production standpoint.
Some Stacks that I like tonight…that won’t be chalk:
- DAL2 – I liked this line a lot early on in the season and cooled off them a little bit, but given the fact that I expect them to garner very little attention tonight, I like the spot for them in a plus match-up against the Preds. Gurianov and Hintz skate on the top PP unit, and while their advanced metrics are mediocre, they’ve shown the ability to break a slate and for 6-10% of line-ups, they don’t require a large allocation to go over-weight relative to the field.
- CHI1 – They aren’t as off the radar as a couple of other options here in this section for tonight – but I have no problem doubling down on them as they go up against Detroit tonight.
- CGY2 – The Canucks have struggled all season in terms of keeping pucks out of their net, and in a game with a neutral line, I like the spot for Monahan-Gaudreau-Bennett tonight. They are affordable, two of the three of them play heavy minutes with the man advantage, and while I’d like to see Gaudreau start shooting the puck more often, I do like this spot for the line tonight.
Good luck in your contests tonight, and if you want to see some of my favourite one offs for tonight’s slate – make sure to check out the Cheat Sheet, which is focused more to that vs. this piece, which focuses on stacking (primarily with options up front at C/W)!