The Primer – DFS NHL Edition for Saturday, November 9th
Last night we had a 3 game main slate, highlighted by a 4-0 shut-out win by the Oilers on home ice against the Devils as Taylor Hall made another return to northern Alberta. Tonight, we have a nine game Main Slate with no shortage of options to choose from – so let’s dive in and look at some ways to attack line-up construction tonight!
Where to Expect Chalk
- The Penguins are the largest favourites of the slate, sitting at -220 in a game with an over/under of 6.5 goals as they host the Blackhawks. Based on the price point of Crosby’s wingers (Galchenyuk in particular), I expect the top line for Pittsburgh to be quite popular tonight – and with Kris Letang out, it looks like Juuso Riikola is skating with the top PP unit for them, while Malkin is with the second unit. I expect the top PP unit to be quite popular for the Penguins as well given the value plays.
- The Habs should be popular tonight in a plus match-up against the Kings. I expect Carey Price to be one of, if not the highest owned netminder – and D Jeff Petry at his price point should be very popular as well. I expect ownership levels to be split up front between the first, second and first PP units.
Some Edges to Attack
- I like the idea of loading up on PIT2 tonight. Jared McCann has looked good since Malkin’s return from injury, and you can opt for a two man stack here, or fire out all three by including Brian Rust, who has been on a nice run. You can make it a four man play with Justin Schultz on the back-end – who looks like he’ll be playing with the second PP unit. All of the above players look like they will be on the second PP, other than Rust.
- I like an overweight position on the second line for the Habs tonight. I love what I’ve seen from the Domi/Drouin combo in plus match-ups, and I think they have a great night. I also like an over-weight position for MME on Petry and Price.
- I prefer CAR1 to CAR2 tonight in a plus match-up in Ottawa. Due to the mixing and matching of their PP units, I like to stack the Canes based on their even strength lines. Warren Foegele is a nice source of salary relief and looks to be skating with Aho and Svechnikov at EV. You can also opt for a two man stack here if you don’t want to use Foegele.
- I love the AVS top PP unit tonight, playing at home against the Jackets.
Some Places/Players I’ll be Fading
- I’ll continue with my Toronto skaters fade – though if you want to use Auston Matthews – I wouldn’t argue it. They have been playing a rather boring brand of hockey in the past week, and their expected goals/60 has been very low. While they could opt to run and gun at any point, I have no problem fading them given their current play style – something that has worked out well for the week. I do still like Freddie Andersen as a one-off in net.
- Even though they generally play great at home, I have no problem opting to fade the top line/PP unit for the Flames as they host the Blues. I don’t like to pick on St. Louis too much – and while I don’t expect the top line for the Flames to be too popular – I do think there will be some players riding their recent form into tonight’s match-up.
Best of luck for those playing tonight! If you have any questions at all, you can find me on Twitter @bradsgotmoxy!