This forum is archived and no longer active. You can visit us in our Discord Server here!

Topic: Slack channel

What about creating a slack channel , where all your members can share ideas , strategies etc? I think people will participate more in slack that in this forums.

Just an idea.

so by definition, slack would be...

not active or busy, sometimes dull.

sign me up for that one.

We have discussed this in the past as we use slack internally for all our communications. I'm not sure if this is something we will ever add, but please chime in if this is something you want as well.

I think a slack channel would be very beneficial. Users can exchange ideas and learn from others.

In my line of work, I work with people all over the world , and it has become the tool we prefer. It keeps the communication open and we feel we are making a lot of progress in the different projects we are involved.

Anyway my 2 cents.

in theory, people making progress with the sharing of ideas, makes the group smarter as a whole.
coming from a greyhound betting background from the 1980's, there were groups that fell into the 80/20 rule.
20 percent of the group would openly share ideas and get better in an exponential way, where we were massively more profitable than others in the groups.
80 percent of the group would become "takers of information" and decide not to share much at all, but constantly complain about other peoples theories and research because they tried things for a few weeks and ideas didn't work for short sample sizes.
research and "split testing" is hard and frustrating. it can become a grind and most people will eventually become "takers."
in 3 years of daily hockey fantasy, i don't do hardly anything the way i started out 3 years ago, but i'm constantly looking for small increases.
if you make a 10 percent increase in 3 different areas, you aren't 10 percent better, you're 33 percent better over time.

now i'm not trying to plug these guys, but tastytrade,com has some of the smartest math minds around and tom sosnoff was one of the founders of the think or swim platform that td ameritrade bought out to become their platform for options trading.
they have shows like ""where do i start" for beginners to options trading as well as way more advanced shows for the hard core learners.
one of the philosophies is "trade small and trade often" which most daily fantasy players would think is nuts, but reducing the variance is needed for longer term profits. even if you don't understand stock options at all, some of the math and probability lessons could make you a better daily fantasy player.

i'm not trying to take a dump on this idea of the slack channel, i'm just saying that some of the "givers" will get tired of always giving, while the "takers" act as a sponge and give nothing in return.
you'll eventually lose the "givers" to their own little world where the rich get richer and the "takers" will quit and their bankrolls vanish.
make sure there is a "where do i start" section somewhere to keep the newbies around long enough for one or two of them to become "givers".
as i've said in a post before, daily fantasy is a lot like fishing... telling someone you don't know well to "try fishing the north side of the lake today, you'll probably do better up there," is way more different than saying "go to the north side of the lake, find the cove with 3 tall pines and a giant rock in front of them, cast your line 10 feet from the edge of where that rock is and you'll catch all the fish your limit will reach today."

sometimes playing and playing becomes just as educational as looking at blog posts about tips and theory.
pretty much every single day of the hockey season for the last 2 years, i started a free contest besides playing in the paid games.
a funny thing happened along the way, you find out who's better than you even in free games. you can take all that information from the winners and try to reverse engineer what is working for them.
this year, i've been running "leagues" with month long hockey contests. over a 30 day span, the cream always rises to the top. even though the league is free, the competition is still strong. you get a league page that has the highest scores, average scores, and contests played information from every contest.
i now have MONTHS of data from the best of the best of these leagues, (hockey pickem and classic on draftkings)
some guys have hit 40 points or higher as many as 5 times in a 30 day period. i can go in and see how they structured their lineups and what kind of team stacks they may use. i also keep track of my own projected "goals for" and the vegas lines as well as me making my own "probability of team win percentage" for every game. i can see if the "smart guys" are using mostly players from those types of teams or do they spread them out over 5 or 6 teams. most articles will tell you to "stack, stack, stack" well, anyone with 3 years of research from "smart guys in hockey" may beg to differ over a cold drink sometime.
one thing you learn from dog and horse track players, everyone has got an opinion and most of them are wrong.
some of you may want to get better at picking winning probabilities of hockey, basketball, or football teams in general.
if sports wagering gets passed by the supreme court in the united states, daily fantasy will get pushed to the back burner for players.

as far as a "where do i start," the insights tab at fantasy cruncher has some decent knowledge to get you started and maybe you can learn a thing or 2 from those guys.
maybe join a bunch of free contests or set up a league and try to find out why the same 5 to 10 players are always hitting the higher scores in a single entry "no money" contest.
try and remember, the guys playing in big money contests aren't smarter than you, they just usually have bigger bankrolls. there have been so many times that scores from our free hockey leagues would've taken down the big prizes in contests, but most of us don't have huge bankrolls for daily fantasy.

peace,,, have a safe and happy new year... sorry for the long rant