NHL DFS Primer | Friday, April 23rd, 2021 on DraftKings
Looking for help building line-ups for NHL DFS on DraftKings or FanDuel tonight? Let’s take a look at some of the best plays on the board for tonight’s action!
Friday night gives us a short five game slate, so today’s Primer will be straight to the point. Boston’s top line will be the highest owned stack of the night as they sit as -290 favourites on home ice against the Sabres, and for the purpose of this article, I really don’t think I need to spend much more time on them than that. They’ll be popular, in the fade at your own risk category for tonight – so for today’s write-up, I am going to focus on some other teams in good spots tonight to consider when building line-ups!
Who are some stacks in good spots tonight?
- I didn’t mention them off of the top, but the Rangers will be the second highest owned stack tonight, led by the top line of Zibanejad-Kreider-Buchnevich. I don’t have to spend too much time here either – they have been outstanding, and the struggles that the Flyers have had keeping pucks out of the net has been well documented here. The price point is expensive on them, so you’ll need to make a call between BOS1 and NYR1. I’m expecting ownership levels to be pretty similar as Boston’s top line is as expensive as they come. If you are looking for an interesting pivot here, the second line of Strome-Panarin- Blackwell have the potential to fly under the radar, and you can even use Adam Fox with them as Strome and Panarin skate on the top PP unit along with Kreider and Zibanejad.
- The slate gets pretty rough after that. The Wild are in a good spot tonight on the road against a Kings team that checks in with the 5th highest expected GA per 60 in the league (behind only 4 of the North Division teams). The thing I really don’t like about stacking the Wild is that I never want to use any of their C’s. I like the approach of stacking wingers on the top line, and the Fiala line, sprinkling in either Spurgeon or Dumba on the back-end. The spot for them is great tonight, and I wouldn’t be shocked to see them be a part of a large field GPP win.
- I like the spot tonight for the Preds, given the limited quality options on the slate – but I don’t love their lines from a stacking standpoint as they spread out the key cogs in their attack over their top three lines and top two PP units. I don’t mind the idea of running combinations through all three of their top lines for 2-3 man stacks in MME GPP formats.
- If you are looking for a low-owned stack to consider as a contrarian value stack, the line of Haula-Duchene-Cousins intrigues me. They haven’t played much together this season, but have been strong in a limited sample size and can be combined with a high spend stack elsewhere. Haula and Duchene skate together on the second PP unit, and you could consider a two man stack with them and Ryan Ellis on the back-end for a different twist.
- You don’t necessarily have to go this route, but if you do want to narrow down your player pool a little bit, I don’t mind the idea of taking a knee on the Flames/Habs game. These two teams are the only two good defensive teams in the North division, and while there is some risk in narrowing down the player pool on a 5 game slate, it could be worth considering if you don’t love the stacking options for either team tonight. A good middle ground could be to keep your favourite players from each team in the pool, but to only use them as an isolated play, or as a two-man stack. I don’t think this game sees the red light go on too much.
Who do I expect to be the highest owned stacks tonight?
- BOS1 + Grzelyck
- NYR1 + Fox
This article focuses mainly on stacking – if you want to see my favourite one-off plays, please look out for the NHL Daily Cheat Sheet that will be out a little later on this morning!