Welcome to the Daily Rundown for FanDuel for KBO DFS contests on Friday, May 22, 2020.
Thursday saw a couple of teams break out for big days, a far cry from Wednesday’s slate which saw minimal runs across the board. It made for a very interesting slate with the KT Wiz and the LG Twins, projected for the two highest totals on the board to fall flat – while the NC Dinos exploded against the Doosan pen to put up crooked numbers late, pushing their record to 11-2. Today, we see teams start a new series heading into the weekend – so let’s take a look at the match-ups and some ways that you can attack Friday morning’s action.
Pitcher to Target
Using mykbostats.com you can see the projected starters below for Friday’s games:
- Hanwha Eagles (Saupold, 1-1, 1.64) vs NC Dinos (Young Gyu Kim, 0-0, 3.27)
- Kia Tigers (Hyun Jong Yang, 2-1, 4.80) vs. SK Wyverns (Joo Han Kim, 0-2, 45.00)
- KT Wiz (Despaigne, 1-0, 2.65) vs. LG Twins (Kelly, 1-0, 5.62)
- Doosan Bears (Yong Chan Lee, 0-1, 12.60) vs. Samsung Lions (Lively, 0-3, 5.54)
- Kiwoom Heroes (Brigham, 0-1, 4.15) vs. Lotte Giants (Kyung Eun Noh, 1-0, 4.91)
If you just look at his 2020 numbers so far through a limited sample, Hyun Jong Yang of the Kia Tigers won’t jump out at you – but when you notice that he posted a 2.29 ERA to go along with a WHIP of 1.07 while fanning 163 over 184.2 IP in 2019, and layer in the fact that he is facing SK Wyverns (though the Wyverns did put up some big numbers on Thursday) – and it isn’t hard to see why Kia checks in as -205 favourites for this one. Yang was strong in his last start after two rough outings, and I like his chances of taking another positive step in his fourth start of the year. He’s my favourite pitcher for Friday’s action.
Odrisamer Despaigne has the chance to slip under the radar in this one, and is an arm that I think is worth including in your MME builds on Friday. The KT Wiz check in as small dogs for Friday’s match-up with the LG Twins as they go up against Casey Kelly, and I like the game theory play here with Despaigne, who should be lower owned than 2019 KBO standout Kelly. Despaigne has been very strong through three starts, and even though the LG Twins sit in second place overall, they are in a tie for 4th in runs scored. While they aren’t a bad line-up by any means, I think you have a shot here to get Despaigne at low ownership, and I think his ceiling due to his ability to miss bats (over a K per inning so far in a limited KBO sample) is as good as any arm for Friday morning’s slate.
Stack to Target
Kia is going to be the chalk stack for Friday’s action – which shouldn’t be surprising given the fact they are facing a pitcher that has an ERA of 45.00 so far in a limited sample size. If you’d like to see my favourite bats for Kia, check out the cheat sheet below – but I don’t think I’d be adding much value typing them up as my stack to target for the day. Instead, I’ll focus on another one to use as a compliment as part of your builds:
The Heroes are projected to put up 5 runs, and I love them to go over that figure going up against Kyung Eun Noh. Noh posted a pretty solid 2019 season, but from a quick glance it looks like he was very fortunate. He’s an arm that doesn’t miss bats, struggles with the longball, and he comes into this one having been hit very hard through two starts…and those starts are against the Wyverns and Eagles, likely the two worst offences in the KBO. In fairness to Noh, his line was pretty solid in the end against the Eagles, allowing only one run – but he did give up 8 hits through 6 innings, and managed to get out of a couple jams to keep runs off the board. The Heroes are a tougher challenge for Noh, and my favourite options for the Heroes are:
- IF Byung Ho Park – has had a slow start to the year – but is a KBO legend, hitting 33, 43, 53 and 52 HR’s over the past four seasons. He’s a threat to leave the yard each and every AB, especially against below average arms like I feel is the case with Noh.
- IF Ha Seong Kim – another member of the Heroes having a pretty pedestrian start to the year, but it’s only a matter of time before he gets going. In 2019 he slashed .307/.394/.491 to go along with 19 HR and 33 SB. He’s a fantasy star.
- OF Jung Hoo Lee – Unlike the aforementioned two options, Lee has had a great start to his season. He is a key cog in the attack for the Heroes, and although he’s expensive – he’s definitely worth including in your builds with respect to stacking the Heroes.
If you are looking for some value plays to mix in for Kiwoom, check out a couple of the recommendations on the cheat sheet below!
Make sure that you confirm that each player in your lineup is in their team’s lineup.
|High||Kia Starting P (27 / 25.97)||Jose Fernandez (17 / 15.29)||Jung-Hoo Lee (14 / 8.85)|
|Jae-Il Oh (16 / 1.10)||Preston Tucker (16 / 15.31)|
|Mel Rojas Jr (15 / 9.90)|
|Medium||Byung-Ho Park (12 / 10.11)||Hyung-Woo Choi (12 / 13.33)|
|Ha-Seong Kim (12 / 0.99)||Myung-gi Lee (10 / 6.22)|
|Keon-Chang Seo (11 / 6.74)|
|Low||KT Starting P (21 / 20.31)||Hye-Sung Kim (6 / 2.78)||Ji-Wan Na (7 / 7.77)|
|Sun-Bin Kim (9 / 10.37)||Min-Hyeok Kim (9 / 7.21)|
|Won-Joon Choi (8 / 5.07)|