Welcome to the Daily Rundown for DraftKings KBO DFS contests on Friday, May 22, 2020.
We have another 5 games on the Friday slate, with things locking at 5:30am EST.
Three arms stand out to me for Friday morning’s slate – all for different reasons:
- Hyun Jong Yang, while the most expensive arm on the slate at $9k, is also worth the price in my books. Don’t be fooled by his poor 2020 numbers, he was electric in 2019, notching almost a punch out per inning to go along with an ERA of 2.29 and a WHIP of 1.07 across 184.2 innings. When you consider that he’s toeing the slab against SK Wyverns today, he’s the best option on the board for me by a pretty wide margin.
- Odrisamer Despaigne, while an underdog in his match-up against Casey Kelly and the LG Twins, is full of all kinds of intrigue to me. He has been outstanding so far in his debut season in the KBO, striking out over a hitter per inning – and he has faced some tough line-ups in his three starts. While the Twins sit in second place, their offence hasn’t been too powerful, ranking near the middle of the pack in runs scored. When you factor in that you should be able to roster Despaigne at a significantly lower ownership level than Kelly – and that I think the two arms have similar ranges of potential outcomes, I like the angle here to go over-weight exposure to Despaigne.
- Finally, if you are looking for a punt with upside to free up some cash to splash on bats, take a look at Young Gyu Kim of the Dinos. Not shockingly, given how well the Dinos have been playing, they check in as 63% favourites to win – and Kim has been respectable so far on the young season (7.4 K/9 to go along with a 1.09 WHIP). He’s worth mixing into your builds for sure at a price point of $5,500.
Hitting Stacks to Target
Kia and Doosan are going to be popular stacking options with those that have the ability to afford them. The price point on the likes of Jose Fernandez and Jae Hwan Kim for Doosan and for OF Preston Tucker of Kia will be a bit prohibitive – but generally there are enough punts out there to mix in to be able to stomach an extremely high priced bat or two. Both of these teams are in a great spot, and I have included my favourites from each team in the cheat sheets below.
Instead, for this piece, I wanted to focus on a team with a lower projected total – but one that I think is going to have a big day, and that would be the Kiwoom Heroes.
The Heroes are projected to put up 5 runs, and I love them to go over that figure going up against Kyung Eun Noh. Noh posted a pretty solid 2019 season, but from a quick glance it looks like he was very fortunate. He’s an arm that doesn’t miss bats, struggles with the longball, and he comes into this one having been hit very hard through two starts…and those starts are against the Wyverns and Eagles, likely the two worst offences in the KBO. In fairness to Noh, his line was pretty solid in the end against the Eagles, allowing only one run – but he did give up 8 hits through 6 innings, and managed to get out of a couple jams to keep runs off the board. The Heroes are a tougher challenge for Noh, and my favourite options for the Heroes, all of which are affordable are:
- IF Byung Ho Park – has had a slow start to the year – but is a KBO legend, hitting 33, 43, 53 and 52 HR’s over the past four seasons. He’s a threat to leave the yard each and every AB, especially against below average arms like I feel is the case with Noh.
- IF Ha Seong Kim – another member of the Heroes having a pretty pedestrian start to the year, but it’s only a matter of time before he gets going. In 2019 he slashed .307/.394/.491 to go along with 19 HR and 33 SB. He’s a fantasy star.
- OF Jung Hoo Lee – Unlike the aforementioned two options, Lee has had a great start to his season. He is a key cog in the attack for the Heroes, and although he’s expensive – he’s definitely worth including in your builds with respect to stacking the Heroes.
Best of luck today!
|High||Hyun Jong Yang (9k / 14.58)||Eui-Ji Yang (5.1k / 0.76)||Jae-Hwan Kim (6k / 11.00)||Jose Fernandez (6.4k / 11.73)||Ha-Seong Kim (4.7k / 0.76)||Preston Tucker (6.2k / 11.74)|
|Odrisamer Despaigne (8.3k / 11.40)||Hyung-Woo Choi (5.4k / 10.22)||Baek-Ho Kang (5.7k / 0.73)|
|Medium||Dong-Won Park (3.9k / 6.29)||Byung-Ho Park (4.8k / 7.75)||Min-woo Park (4.2k / 6.26)||Chan-Ho Park (4.5k / 8.52)||Sun-Bin Kim (4.2k / 7.95)||Jung-Hoo Lee (4.2k / 6.79)|
|Suk-Min Park (4.4k / 6.55)||Kun-Woo Park (4.1k / 7.52)|
|Low||Young Gyu Kim (5.5k / 8.02)||Ji-Young Lee (3k / 4.36)||Keon-Chang Seo (3.2k / 5.17)||Won-Joon Choi (2.6k / 3.89)||Jae-Ho Kim (2.8k / 4.06)||Ji-Wan Na (3.5k / 5.96)|
|Chun-Woong Lee (3.4k / 4.63)|
Best of luck out there!